Saturday, August 05, 2017

Mccall's 7324 top



Hi you all! Last week when I was searching thru my patterns for the pattern stash contest I came across Mccall's 7324. When I purchased it last year I felt so attracted to the flowy looseness of this top. However I never seem to find the perfect kind of fabric and color to do it. Well, one month ago my mother who is a very frugal person brought me to a place here in Montreal where the fabric is so affordable you wouldn't believed it! I bought several yards of different prints for less than 30 dollars, tax included! This one in particular cost me 2.50$/ yard and its a flowy gorgeous rayon challis. I love, love, love those colors. So the minute I saw the view C I knew that was the top I wanted to make with this fabric.

The pattern is stated as very loose fitting and believe me, it is. I made a size small and still find it loose but don't get me wrong , even if it's very loose it's still has kind of a nice shape to it that in my opinion makes it look good. I particularly like the shirring in the back neckline, I don't know why I think it's such a cute detail.

On the other hand I don't like the gathering in the front sides and front neckline because it adds more bulk where I don't necessarily want it. I don't need extra volume in the front part if you know what I mean! I like the center pleat though, I pressed it a lot so it lays flat on my chest to again avoid the bulk.


Also the half placket doesn't lay flat either. The instructions where easy to follow but when it comes to the placket it's like something is missing and I ended up doing my own thing. I turned out well but I think its the gathering that pulls it and if you look closely at the model's shirt it does pucker a little bit too, so I guess it's
a pattern issue.

The only modification I did to the pattern is a little correction to the armscye as quiltfixer from pattern review kindly suggested me to do in my previous top. I added half an inch to the arm opening and  to the sleeve too. I should have extended the top by two inches had I knew it would be too short to my taste. 

Overall, I like it. I'm not sure I'll be making another yet but it's a nice pattern. It's really cool and comfortable for the summer. 

Well, that is my sewing adventure for this week. I gotta say it's an easy make. I did it in less than four hours cutting to hemming. But even only four hours it's sometimes hard to find. Well I'm glad I found time to do this one. Another 2,50$ top. Isn't that awesome? 
Sewing makes dressing yourself so affordable, it's crazy! 
Well I hope you liked it! See you here next time with another project! 
Happy sewing!